Monday, July 18, 2011

Five Minute Pasta Sauce

I know I can't be the only mother out there whose children are obsessed with plain pasta.  Well, in our case it isn't exactly plain, it's called "garlic noodles" because of the large quantity of garlic salt that tops it.  A blob of butter, garlic salt, and Parmesan cheese- and not fresh Parmesan, the tasty powdered stuff that comes in the green can (although I do admit liking to the stuff).  Yup.  Of all the delicious things I can cook, what do they always want?  Garlic noodles.  At least they will eat the whole wheat pasta, so I don't feel so bad feeding it to them as a meal. 

On Saturday afternoon, the kids put in their usual request for a weekend lunch of garlic noodles.  Of course, they each devoured a bowlful.  After they were done eating, Lee and I looked at the pot of bland goodness on the stove and decided that it needed something.  It was too hot and I was too hungry to get creative- so I invented the super simple Five Minute Pasta Sauce.  And, hey, it was pretty darn good!

Five Minute Pasta Sauce: (no chopping needed!)

  •  one can of diced tomatoes (I swear by Muir Glenn tomatoes for fresh taste!)
  • torn fresh basil, parsley, and oregano (from the bucket)
  • Penzey's dehydrated onions
  • a spoonful of jarred minced garlic
  • a generous sprinkling of Penzey's Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle
  • salt, pepper, and Penzey's Black and Red (to give it some kick)
  • a splash of white wine
Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  Much tastier than plain old garlic noodles again. Saturday lunch may never be the same...

No comments:

Post a Comment