Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All the food groups in one simple meal

It was almost 7:00 tonight after a very busy day, when I realized I hadn't thought about supper yet- oops.  I had already been out for one walk (alongside Bryce riding his New Lightning McQueen bike), one bike ride adventure to Tourist Park with the kids in the bike trailer, and a nice evening walk with a friend-which the kids ran for half of.  We were definitely in need of some healthy food energy!  Here are the simple recipes:

Breakfast Burritos:

I scrambled together eggs, red and yellow peppers, and onions with salt, pepper, and Penzey's Black and Red.  Put the cooked egg mixture inside of soft burrito shells and add black beans, shredded cheddar, and salsa.  Top with guacamole and sour cream.  Super simple and packed with veggies, protein, and dairy.



What is that tasty drink?  Why, it's the missing food group- fruit!

Strawberry-Spinach Smoothie: 

In the magic bullet, blend together:
  • frozen strawberry puree (I made this a few weeks ago when I had too many strawberries!)
  • frozen spinach puree
  • one fresh banana
  • a splash of almond milk
  • a few drops of vanilla extract
  • orange juice
 Hmmmm...what's she trying to trick me into?
 I like it!
 I guess I'll have some more!!

Am I crazy to bring a two year old and a four year old, by myself, for a few mile ride on the bike, stop at a playground to play, and then go for a little hike in the woods to throw rocks?  Sometimes I worry that these crazy impromptu adventures are a disaster waiting to happen.   So am I crazy?  Maybe I am, but we usually have a great time!  Here's some pictures of why we were so hungry and tired tonight.
 Bryce tackles the big slide
 And Bailey tries the little one
 Cooling down after all that playing
 Tossing some rocks in what's left of the Dead River at Tourist Park
 Nice toss!
Check out that form...and those cute shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment