Chicken and Rice Soup- all measurements are rough guesses, as I don’t technically measure
Sauté these ingredients in about 2 TBS of butter. Dice the celery, carrots, onions, and kale in very small pieces.
- · 3 stalks of celery
- · 3 medium size carrots
- · 5 green onions
- · 4-5 large red kale leaves
- · Pinch of fresh rosemary, oregano, and thyme
- · 1 TBS sea salt
- · ½ TBS black pepper
- · ½ TBS Penzey’s Black and Red
- · 1 TBS dried minced garlic (could use fresh)
- · 1 TBS dried minced onions
When the veggies and spices are nicely sautéed, add:
- · 1 can of white meat chicken
- · 1 64 oz container of organic chicken broth
Boil for around 5 minutes
Add rice (I’m sure any other types of rice would work, but this is what I used)
- · ½ cup of “Forbidden Rice,” which I get in bulk at the health food grocer. It’s a blackish/purple colored rice with lots of antioxidants and a flavor and texture similar to wild rice.
- · ¼ cup of Uncle Ben’s converted rice (a hybrid of white and brown rice- very tasty!) I get it at Target.
Once the rice was added, I covered the pot and kept it at a slow boil for about 30-45 minutes until the rice was cooked. I added some water and a scoop of chicken “Better than Bullion” condensed stock when the rice soaked up too much of the broth. You could also add more canned broth if needed, or plain water and extra salt and seasoning. It turned out to have a slight purplish color from the forbidden rice, which was a little odd looking, but it was unbelievably yummy!