Monday, June 3, 2013

Chicken Fajita Chili



Chicken Fajita Chili
Make this a meal by serving with a side of cheese and avocado quesadillas.
Ingredients (proportions are estimates only, as I never measure):

  • ·         2 chicken breasts
  • ·         1 TBS butter
  • ·         1 large onion
  • ·         12 mini sweet peppers, or 1-2 whole red, yellow, or orange peppers
  • ·         Optional (carrot, celery, zucchini, kale)
  • ·         2 TBS taco seasoning
  • ·         1 TBS chili powder
  • ·         2 TBS minced, dried garlic
  • ·         1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • ·         1 can of chili beans

Cut  chicken breasts into chunks and sauté with a TBS or so of butter. 
When the chicken begins to  brown, add large “fajita style” strips of onions and peppers.  I used one whole onion and about 12 mini sweet peppers quartered.  Optional additions could also include- diced carrot, celery, zucchini, kale, or other seasonal veggie.
When the chicken is fully cooked, season with chili powder, Penzey’s dried, minced garlic, and taco seasoning (I used about 2 TBS of Penzey’s Bold Taco).
Add one large can of diced tomatoes and one regular sized can of chili beans in sauce.  I would’ve also added a can of black  beans if it were just for me, but my family gripes when it’s too “beany.”
Simmer on low for at least an hour.  I like my soups simmered for a whole day whenever I am able!
Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and tortilla strips.  Fresh cilantro would be tasty too if you like cilantro—unlike me.

No comments:

Post a Comment