Monday, August 15, 2011

Sausage Infused Egg Sandwiches

Last weekend I wanted to make breakfast for the family.  I'm always trying to figure out ways to get the kids to eat eggs.  This was my latest attempt!

Sausage Infused Egg Sandwiches:

I started by frying up ground pork breakfast sausage (I used the Seeds and Spores kind).  I added chopped kale, mushrooms, and onion to the sausage (all from the bucket).  I would've added more vegetables if I'd had more, but I was getting low!  This recipe would be even better with peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, etc added in!

In a separate bowl, I scrambled together 3 farm fresh eggs.  When the meat was fully cooked, I put a few spoonfuls of it into the eggs and added salt and pepper.  This mixture went into the magic bullet until the sausage was very finely chopped into the eggs. 

This is the fun part!

First, I got a small frying pan very hot and coated it with cooking spray.  As a mold, I used an all metal cookie cutter, sprayed with cooking spray.  I would've used a round one, but all I had was a gingerbread man-lol.   I poured the egg mixture into the cookie cutter and waited for it to form and egg patty.

Gingerbread egg boy- ha ha

I flipped it over halfway through to cook both sides.  The end result was a roundish, but not gingerbread shaped egg patty.

I served the egg patties on a toasted whole-grain bagel and topped with a slice of cheddar.  We served our breakfast sandwiches with fresh blueberries, raspberries, cherries, and watermelon from the farmer's market.  Not bad for a crazy experiment.


No comments:

Post a Comment