Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mexican Goulash

If you haven't noticed, most of my recipes end up with either a Mexican or Italian flair, and usually involve cheese.  This recipe combines the best of both worlds!

I have to credit my mom on this one, as it's a spin on a recipe she used to make for us growing up <3

Mexican Goulash

In a frying pan I cooked:
  • onions (from the bucket)
  • chopped chard (from the bucket)
  • 1 pound of grass-fed ground beef
When the meat was fully cooked, I added 4 spoonfuls of Penzey's Bold Taco seasoning and a few ounces of water.

In a separate pot I boiled a bag of whole wheat gobetti noodles, but, of course any shape would work fine.

While those things were cooking, in the casserole dish I added:
  • 2 (regular sized) cans of diced tomatoes
  • one can of corn
  • 3/4 of a bag of shredded cheddar
I then added the cooked meat mixture and the pasta into the casserole dish, stirred it well, and poured in about 2 cups of chicken broth.

I baked it, covered, at 350 degrees for about an hour.  10 minutes before it was ready, I uncovered the casserole and topped it with the rest of the shredded cheddar and crushed tortilla chips. 

Simple, very tasty, and the best part- it can be made ahead of time (ahem, nap time) and then tossed in the oven an hour before dinner!


Before cooking


Dinner's ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment